Alien Metals Ltd (LON:UFO) an iron, precious and Platinum Group Metals development company, has advised that it has recently completed a reverse circulation drilling programme at its 100% owned Elizabeth Hill Silver Project and Munni Munni PGE Project in the west Pilbara of Western Australia.
– Sulphides observed in drill holes at Elizabeth Hill and Munni Munni confirming continuation of mineralising structures
– Initial pXRF results indicate above background concentrations of both base metals and silver
– Wide zones of alteration encountered indicating continuity of silver hosting structures
– Priority samples collected and submitted for assay with balance of samples to be assayed in due course
– Follow up work now being planned
Rod McIllree, Executive Chairman of Alien Metals, commented:
“This extensional exploration drilling at depth and along strike of known metal occurrences strengthens the teams understanding of the geology and mineralised system as well as proving the expanded potential of Australia’s highest grade historical silver mine. In addition, new ideas have been tested for base metal concentrations along the main Munni Munni fault on which the Elizabeth Hill silver deposit also sits. The exploration team is now focused and learning in real time to optimize future exploration activity at both project areas. This, combined with the continued advancement of the Hancock iron project towards production in 2023, positions the Company very well for shareholders to benefit from near term cash flow from production as well as making significant new discoveries in this highly mineralized region.
The Elizabeth Hill and Munni Munni Project
The Elizabeth Hill and Munni Munni Project is a contiguous block of tenements held by the Company that are prospective for silver and Platinum Group Elements (PGEs). The geology is interconnected and there are multiple styles of mineralization with numerous untested targets for both silver and PGE mineralisation.
Figure 1: Location of the Elizabeth Hill and Munni Munni Project areas, Pilbara, Western Australia
Munni Munni itself has significant PGE mineralization with a historically stated 2004 JORC resource of:
24 million Mt @ 2.9g/t Platinum Group Element (PGE) and gold for 2.2Moz PGM3
This includes 1.14 million ounces of palladium, 0.83Moz of platinum, 152,000 oz gold and 76,000 oz of rhodium.
The historical Elizabeth Hill silver mine produced 1.2Moz of silver @ 2,195 grammes per tonne silver from underground between 1999-2000. There is a non-JORC compliant, historically quoted, resource of around 4Moz of silver at a 200g/t (6 ounce) cutoff. In addition to this, the mine produced Australia’s largest silver nugget weighing in at 145 kilograms that is currently on display at the Perth Mint.
Recent Exploration near Elizabeth Hill
The recently completed reverse circulation drilling programme comprised of 12 holes for 1,370 metres of drilling. This drilling was designed to test:
· Down dip, down plunge and depth extensions to the known high grade silver mineralisation proximal to the Elizabeth Hill silver mine
· Strike extensions north of the Elizabeth Hill shaft, targeting granite/ultramafic contact zones identified during underground mining that are interpreted to be extensions to the main silver lode mineralisation
· The Judy Reef about 1,400m southeast of the Elizabeth Hill historical silver mine is a PGE copper nickel target with possible silver, co-incident with an electromagnetic anomaly.
At Elizabeth Hill significant water was encountered in some holes that may require a short diamond core tail to ensure the target is properly tested however this will be determined after receipt of the assays for the existing drilling. Geological logging encountered several zones of altered material that has similar characteristics to the main mineralized high grade silver zones at the Elizabeth Hill mine.
Figure 2: Section looking East through the historical Elizabeth Hill silver mine workings
Upcoming work programmes planned by Alien Metals during the next several months
– Core drilling at Hancock to increase resources from Inferred to Indicated
– High priority samples from drilling submitted with results expected in several weeks
– Permitting for the Hancock development into an active mine is continuing with update in due course
– Refurbishment of the Elizabeth Hill shaft and establishment of a small camp ongoing